How many aspiring stylists told me “I do not know how to draw so I can not be a fashion designer”. But, although fashion schools still select their candidates upon this criterion, I can reassure them: There is no need to be an artist illustrator to be an excellent fashion designer.
The fashion sketch must have the following characteristics:
- fast execution with simple hardware because it will be redone and corrected many times
- colored in a basic and economical way, for the same reason as above
- executed on an A4 format, convenient to classify and transmit
- proportionate, with the proportions of the fashion silhouette, so that the pattern maker understands the volumes
- detailed so that the pattern maker can best illustrate the vision of the designer
- annotated with any detail that might help the pattern maker
- ideally presents a small sample of selected fabrics and materials
- give an indication of the coordinated accessories to chelp the shoe designer, the milliner, the bag maker, the jeweler etc.
As you can see, fashion sketch is not a work of art but a sketch for work. The confusion that exists between fashion illustration and fashion design too often leads the candidate designer to focus on drawing rather than focusing on creation.
A nice fashion illustration doesn’t make necessarily a nice outfit
Please, comment and register on this website,
it’s free with no subscription at all,
See you soon,
Hello, I’m a French fashion designer and pattern maker with 30 years experience. I set a goal upon myself: To share my skills in Fashion Design, Pattern Making and Sewing by publishing free courses. You can support me with your views, your subscriptions and your donations on Patreon. Thank you